I haven't written forever, mostly because my computer is out of memory and I can't download any pictures right now. So this post will be void of any photos. Hopefully I can add them at a later date.
I am officially the parent of a public school student. (Which I'm not sure if I like or not???) We were happy that Jackson's teacher is Mrs. Rodrigues. We had heard great things about her. Jackson is finally starting to like school. (Now that we are going into month two.) He is slow to warm up to new things and new people. Our biggest trauma was the bus. But to explain that story I need to give a little background info:
Originally, Boomer was signed up for afternoon preschool and Jackson was in afternoon kindergarten. I thought this was a great idea because I would get a break while Sadie took her afternoon nap. Unfortunately, I didn't think about the ramifications of what this meant. You see, Sadie usually sleeps until 2:30 (or later). Jackson got out of school at 2:00 and Boomer needed to be picked up at 2:30. We resolved the problem of picking Jackson up by having him ride the bus home.
So here's how Jackson's first bus trip went: I called a babysitter to make sure he wouldn't be missed while I went to pick up Boomer. When I came home from picking up Boomer from preschool our babysitter was outside and she told me " I don't think the bus has passed by yet. I waited out here and then went to check on Sadie, got her out of bed and then I came back out again." I wasn't too nervous because I saw the bus going through the neighborhood. What I failed to recognize was that it had already past our house and was on the way out of the neighborhood. As I saw the bus head away from our road I suddenly panicked. I had no idea where it was heading or where Jackson was headed. Thoughts of him sitting alone on the bus in a crowded bus yard entered my mind. I called the bus hot line multiple times but it was busy. Finally, I called the school and they told me that they brought him back to the school. Boomer, Sadie and I jumped back in the car on our way to rescue Jackson. When I entered the school office Jackson was sitting on a chair and didn't want to look at me. "You told me someone would be there to pick me up." He said. "I know Sweetie, but the babysitter wasn't out there to meet you. I'm so sorry." I told him. "I didn't like that. I don't want to ride the bus again." "Yes I know, I didn't like that either." I explained " It won't happen again" He wasn't crying, just somber. What Jackson doesn't know is I was crying almost all of the way home. Poor little guy. I felt so bad for him. I felt bad that I told him someone would be there and it didn't happen. I am glad that he is more resilient than I am.
The scheduling conflict resolved itself when I finally moved Boomer to morning preschool in a different location (just across from Jackson's school). I felt bad to move him a month into school but Boomer didn't seem to mind at all. He is so easy going and said "That's OK Mama. I don't mind going to a new school." He always sees the good and was so excited that the new preschool has a playground.
We haven't had anymore bus incidents and Jackson told me today that the best part of his day was riding the bus home. I was so relieved to hear it.
No comments:
Post a Comment